As you’re reading this I’m actually in a plane on the way to New Jersey! Jason’s brother is getting married and we’re up here a few days for the wedding. I had to share this easy recipe with you before I left though. As if anyone needed an excuse to eat more mashed potatoes?
You might remember back in the day when I posted a recipe for Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes. Those are delicious and definitely a perfect traditional version, but I found a new method that I like even more! Instead of buttermilk I use greek yogurt, and it gives that same delicious tang and creaminess. The greek yogurt has such a rich flavor that I don’t feel the need to add the extra unhealthy ingredients like cream cheese or a ton of butter. WIN-WIN.
- 2 lbs. yukon gold potatoes
- 2 T. butter
- 1 c. milk
- ⅔ c. plain greek yogurt
- salt and pepper
- ½ c. onion, diced
- ½ c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 T. chives, chopped
- 1 T. green onions, chopped
- ¼ c. tomatoes, diced
- Peel and cube the potatoes and boil in a large pot of water until fork tender, about 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes are boiling, sautee the diced onion in a small pan with a little olive oil or butter until they turn deep brown. Set aside.
- Drain the potatoes then place them in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Add the butter and and mash everything together with a potato masher. Mash the potatoes until it’s as smooth as you can get them.
- Using a hand or stand electric mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the potatoes while adding the greek yogurt. You can add more milk if the potatoes are too thick for your liking Whip until the potatoes are very smooth, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Smooth the mashed potatoes into a casserole dish.
- Top evenly with the browned onions, cheese, green onions, and tomatoes.
- Cover and bake in the preheated oven until the cheese melts, about 10 minutes.
- Top with chives and serve!
Get these on your dinner table, pronto!
And since we’re on the subject of greek yogurt awesomeness, here are some other recipes of mine featuring this amazing ingredient:
Greek Yogurt Macaroni & Cheese (my most popular recipe!)
Have a fantastic weekend!