Greek Yogurt Pancakes

20130227-DSC_0157-3

I am a BIG fan of greek yogurt. I have moved on from the individual cups to those huge family size tubs because I definitely eat enough to make it worth it. Not only is it incredibly delicious to eat plain, but there are also a million ways to use it in cooking and baking. Because of it’s awesome nutritional value, I love to use it in place of sour cream or cream cheese in recipes. And that’s where the inspiration for these pancakes comes in.

20130227-DSC_0157-3While reading Pioneer Woman Cooks (the first blog I ever read and I’m still a loyal reader!), I came across her recipe for Edna Mae’s Sour Cream Pancakes. As soon as I beheld their deliciousness, I immediately wondered if the recipe could work with greek yogurt instead of sour cream. The answer, thankfully, is YES. GOOD LORD YES.

Greek Yogurt Pancakes

by Lauren

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Keywords: breakfast

Ingredients (serves 3)

• 2 eggs
  • 1/2 t. vanilla extract
  • 7 T. all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1 T. sugar
  • 1 c. greek yogurt (plain, not reduced fat, works best)

Whisk together the eggs and vanilla in a small bowl, set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda.

Add the greek yogurt to the dry ingredients and stir until incorporated.

Gently whisk the egg mixture in just until well combined.

Preheat griddle to medium heat (about 300 degrees) and grease with butter or non-stick spray.

Pour batter by the 1/4 cup onto the griddle and cook until the top bubbles and the edges are golden brown. Gently flip and cook another couple minutes on the opposite sides until golden brown.

Serve hot with maple syrup and enjoy!

Powered by Recipage

20130227-DSC_0162-2

Here’s the crazy thing about these pancakes. There’s actually very little flour in the batter, and so the pancakes are for the most part made up of greek yogurt. I have no idea how this works! The genius of the Pioneer Woman never ceases to amaze me. I can’t say how these match up to her sour cream pancakes, but I can tell you that these guys are darn good and have much kinder nutrition facts. Instead of being cakey and dense like a traditional pancake (which I also love), these are light and airy and almost crêpe-like. I’ve eaten them three times already.

20130227-DSC_0160-2

Hope you love them as much as I do!

• Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake June 27, 2013, 5:58 am

These pancakes look so beautiful and fluffy. I love Greek yoghurt in pancakes, it really does make them so light and fluffy. I posted a pancake recipe using some Chobani and they were so airy.

• Lauren July 8, 2013, 9:01 pm

I know, I’m in love with the stuff! I’ll have to check out your post, sounds awesome. :)

• Nala June 27, 2013, 3:14 pm

Oooh, those pancakes look good! I recently became addicted to Greek Yogurt. One thing I love about it is – like you – you can add it in just about anything!

• Lauren July 8, 2013, 9:02 pm

I agree-it’s SO versatile!

• Consuelo @ Honey & Figs June 27, 2013, 5:04 pm

Yay, I’m a big fan of greek yogurt too!! You can add it to literally everything and make it more delicious and healthier. There’s not a single dish that greek yogurt can’t improve 😉
    And these pancakes look really fluffy and delish… I wsh they were tomorrow’s breakfast (or dinner, mind you!) x
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…Fruit salad with honey-lemon dressing / Macedonia con salsa de miel y lemónMy Profile

• Lauren July 8, 2013, 9:03 pm

I’m with you–I’ve yet to find something that greek yogurt DOESN’T work with! :)

• Emily July 1, 2013, 12:41 pm

Omg yum. I’m the exact same way. I’ve been using chobani in everything! My go-to dinner of late is chicken or tuna salad made with yogurt! So easy and so good!
    Emily recently posted…Bedroom WorkspaceMy Profile

• Lauren July 8, 2013, 9:04 pm

Perfect for a mayo-hating lady such as yourself! :)

• Ellie July 14, 2013, 1:25 pm

Just found your blog today via this recipe earlier today. Made it, ate it. Loved it! Very filling! Bookmarking your site! Can’t wait for more! <3

• Lauren July 14, 2013, 1:44 pm

That’s fantastic, I’m so glad you liked the recipe! These kinds of comments really make my day. :)

• Jebbica July 15, 2013, 11:10 am

Ooh, these sound delicious! I’m definitely going to have to try them! Hopefully they work out better than that Greek yogurt ice cream I made. Though, now that I have an ice cream maker, I might be interested in re-trying that one!
    Jebbica recently posted…Food Reviews: FAGE Total Split CupsMy Profile