Just when you thought I had shown you every possible variation of this Southern breakfast staple…here I am again! The garlic flavor in these grits is so perfect, and the quinoa adds a really nice texture along with a lot of nutrition. I can’t wait to make this recipe for my friends!
- 2 c. water
- 1 c. milk
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 3 T. quinoa
- 3 T. grits
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. pepper
- ½ T. butter or vegan butter substitute
- 1 T. parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring the water and milk to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the whole garlic clove and the quinoa, reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the little quinoa grains uncoil.
- Add in the grits, salt, and pepper and let simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is thick.
- Remove the whole garlic clove from the mixture and discard.
- Stir in the butter and parmesan cheese, if using.
- Serve hot!
The parmesan cheese adds a nice flavor (cheddar would be soooo good in this too), but you can certainly leave it out for a vegan breakfast dish. This is the kind of thing that is perfect for a chilly fall or winter morning.
We’re off to have Sunday supper at my parent’s house! Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend.