Yeah, I admit it. This became trendy and I immediately wanted on the boat. I don’t do that very often! I’ve avoided goji berries and cauliflower pizza crusts and many other things simply because I find it annoying that there’s such a craze around them. But when I saw how popular açai bowls were becoming I couldn’t help it! They just look too enticing, so I had to try it myself.
For those who might be wondering what the deal is with açai, it’s a fruit that is full of antioxidants and omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids. It’s similar in nutritional profile to other popular berries, but has recently caught on like wildfire in the US (and I’m guessing other places in the West). It’s also delicious and a beautiful color!
So here’s how you make it!
- 1 c. pineapple juice
- 1 pack of acai berry juice (you can find it in the frozen section of Whole Foods)
- 1 c. frozen strawberries
- ½ frozen banana
- ¼ c. frozen blueberries
- ¼ c. granola
- ½ c. sliced or diced fruit of your choice (I used kiwi, strawberries, and mango for a tropical flavor!)
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl.
- Top with granola and fruit as desired.
- Enjoy immediately!
Basically this just a fun way to have a smoothie! You can substitute with any types of additional fruits that you want and decorate it as you please!
I’m really glad I tried this, the possibilities are endless!
Get on the boat, people!