Is it bad for me to admit that I really love cocktails? Oh well, too late. I really love cocktails. I don’t make a ton of them at home but few things get me as excited as going to a restaurant and being handed a list of craft cocktails. But obviously if you’re avoiding alcohol, you need to find other ways to entertain yourself.
Throughout my pregnancy I’ve had a lot of fun coming up with various mocktails to drink. Favorite concoctions have included various combinations of cranberry juice, pineapple juice, lemon or lime juice, and sparkling water. A lot of times I do this in an effort to stay hydrated, but sometimes it’s just fun to make a special drink for yourself! Since strawberries are coming into season now, I’ve been dying to make a drink with them and thought agua fresca would be the perfect thing!
If you’ve never had one before, an agua fresca is essentially a fruit flavored water. They’re really popular in Mexico and a lot of places here in the US. If you get a really good one, it will be made with fresh fruit juice or puree. They can be made with just about any fruit imaginable and the flavor combinations are endless! The sweet strawberries and tart lime juice in this one make an insanely refreshing duo.
- 1 lb. fresh organic strawberries (plus additional for garnish if desired)
- ⅓ c. turbinado sugar
- 3 c. water
- 1 c. crushed ice
- 2 limes, juiced (plus additional lime slices for garnish if desired)
- mint sprigs (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the turbinado sugar with about ¼ c. of lukewarm water and stir together. Set aside to allow the sugar to start dissolving.
- Hull and halve the fresh strawberries.
- Puree the strawberries in a blender or food processor until completely smooth.
- Strain the mixture into a pitcher to remove any seeds.
- Add water, crushed ice, sugar water, and lime juice to pitcher. Stir well to combine.
- You can drink the mixture over ice immediately, but for best flavor allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to serve, stir and pour over ice. Add lime slices, strawberry slices, and mint sprigs for a fun and flavorful garnish!
The great thing about making your own drinks is that you control what goes inside! In my house we use turbinado sugar, but coconut sugar or agave syrup would work just as well here. And feel free to add more if you like a sweeter drink, but with ripe and in-season fruit the amount I use should be plenty!
I confess that while I intended to enjoy this over the course of a few days…I drank it all in a day. Oops! Hey, still less sugar than a big soda so I feel good about it!
This would be perfect to serve to company outside in warm weather, or just as a fun addition to your family dinner! I can’t wait to get more strawberries this weekend so I can make more!