You may or may not know this about me but I have a sweet tooth that is OUTTA control! If I don’t eat enough fruit, I WILL somehow locate a Krispy Kreme doughnut or bowl of Ben & Jerry’s. For that reason I’m always always always looking for healthy dessert recipes. This is one that you MUST try.
For this recipe I used my new obsession: baby bananas. Have you ever tried these?? They are like an elevated perfect version of normal bananas. I can’t believe it took me so long to try them.
I ate that entire bunch on the way to work that morning! Best commute ever. What I’m trying to say is…buy yourself some baby bananas next time you see them. Also, make this recipe.
- 4 baby bananas (or you can use 1-2 regular bananas), cut in half lengthwise
- ½ T. maple syrup
- dash of cinnamon
- optional toppings: peanut butter, toasted walnuts, nutella, honey
- Preheat your broiler to high (or 500 degrees).
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet (I used a tiny bit of coconut oil) and place the bananas on the sheet, cut side facing up.
- Use a pastry brush to brush a little maple syrup on the top of each banana piece.
- Sprinkle the bananas with a dash of cinnamon.
- Broil in preheated oven, checking often, until the tops are caramelized. This took about 4 minutes under my broiler, but check often so they don't burn!
- Remove from the oven and top with peanut butter, walnuts, and any other ingredients you like!
I decided to top mine with peanut butter, Nutella, some toasted nuts, and a drizzle of raw honey. Toasted coconut, toasted almonds, or fruit jam would also be delicious options! This tastes like bananas foster and REALLY hits the spot when you’re craving dessert. You don’t even need any toppings at all and this makes such a delicious treat!
Every day I don’t succumb to a doughnut is a success in my book. 😉 One day down.