In our house breakfast tends to be the most compromised meal of the day. I’m big on sleep so there’s no way I’m waking up half an hour earlier to cook Jason and I a full breakfast. I love the idea of frozen breakfast sandwiches, but the prepared ones in the store are usually full of junk ingredients and not really geared towards vegetarians. So I decided to take matters into my own hands.
This is a very customizable idea so you can really use whatever filling or bread you want! But to keep things as nutritious as possible I used whole wheat english muffins from Sprouts and added spinach into the egg layer of the sandwich. This along with a smoothie or cupful of berries is the PERFECT breakfast to me. And it’s made for people on the go like us! This recipe makes enough delicious sandwiches to last you the whole work week.
- 5 whole wheat english muffins
- 5 eggs
- ⅓ c. milk
- 1½ c. shredded baby spinach
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. pepper
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese (I love Cabot extra sharp)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Split the english muffins with a fork and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt and pepper. Stir in the spinach.
- Spray a rectangular baking dish with nonstick spray and pour the egg mixture into the dish.
- Bake at 375 for 10 minutes, or until the eggs are completely set and the edges just start to turn golden brown.
- Remove the eggs from the oven and set the pan aside to cool.
- When the eggs are cool, flip them out onto a cutting board (it should all come out in one slab).
- Use a biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass to cut 5 circles out of the eggs.
- To assemble each sandwich place one egg round on an english muffin bottom, top with a little of the shredded cheese, then put the muffin top on and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Put wrapped sandwiches in a freezer bag and freeze until ready to eat.
- When ready to eat, remove sandwich from wrap and place on a microwave safe dish. Microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until the egg is heated through and the cheese has melted. Enjoy!
I’m really glad I decided to try this idea, I think this is going to change our breakfast lives forever!
Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a sandwich to get back to.