I can’t believe there’s only one more day left of Blogmas! I’ve done various spiced cookies but I’ve never actually done gingerbread, so I thought this would be the perfect time to share a great recipe!
When this bread is baking it will fill your house with the smell of the holidays! The ridiculous smell is probably reason enough to make this recipe, but you can also be assured that this bread is soft, moist, and super tasty.
- ½ c. butter, melted and cooled
- ¾ c. blackstrap molasses
- 2 c. all-purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- 2 t. ground ginger
- 2 t. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. ground nutmeg
- ½ t. ground allspice
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ c. packed brown sugar
- 1 c. warm water
- 4 T. cold butter
- ½ c. flour
- ½ c. sugar
- ½ t. vanilla extract
- ¼ t. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pulse together the ingredients for the crumb topping in the bowl of a food processor until the mixture forms pea-sized crumbs. Set aside
- Whisk together the melted butter and molasses. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Add in the molasses mixture, eggs, sugar, and water and mix on low just until the ingredients are incorporated (don't over mix, some small lumps are okay).
- Pour batter into 2 greased 8"x4" loaf pans or a greased 9" square pan.
- Sprinkle topping mixture over the batter (you can use some or all of the topping, it's up to you).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely and slice to serve!
For ideal gift giving, you can bake these loaves right into decorative paper bakeware (I got these festive ones at Target), then all you need to do is put the whole thing in a cellophane bag and tie a ribbon around it! I also love these cute tags I got from Minted.com that have my name and little kitchen related illustrations on them.
See you tomorrow for the LAST day of Blogmas (complete with another giveaway!).