It’s time to add a vegan recipe to the mix! I’ve seen lots of eggnog flavored cookies on the internet and in magazines lately and thought this would be a really fun recipe to veganize. This recipe uses coconut oil in place of butter, which works so well! This by no means makes these “healthy” cookies, coconut oil is still a fat, but it’s a great alternative to using dairy products. And they are SO tasty.
- 1½ c. powdered sugar
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 c. room temperature coconut oil
- ¼ c. nondairy nog (Silk makes a great soy one and So Delicious makes a coconut milk one)
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2½ c. all-purpose flour
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 1½ t. baking powder
- ¼ t. baking soda
- ¼ t. ground nutmeg
- Mix the powdered sugar, salt, coconut oil, nog, and vanilla together in the bowl of a mixer until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg all at once and mix everything together well until it forms a dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Divide the dough into four pieces. Roll each piece out onto a floured surface to about ¼" thickness and cut with cookie cutter of choice.
- Bake on a lined baking sheet for 8-10 minutes, or until the bottom edges just start to brown.
- Remove and let cook for a couple minutes on the pan, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If you want your cookies iced, whisk together some sifted powdered sugar and a little nog to make an icing.
Since these are sugar cookies the options for decorating are endless! You can ice them with a simple mixture of powdered sugar and nog, you can sprinkle them with colored sugar or sprinkles before baking, or you can leave them plain!
Today I’m also thrilled to announce the FIRST giveaway of Blogmas! If you are vegan/dairy-free and enjoy baking, Enjoy Life chocolate chips are probably your best friend in the kitchen. For those of you who might not be familiar, Enjoy Life is the #1 brand of allergy-friendly baking chocolate in the US. Their chocolate chips are dairy-free, soy-free, and nut-free and work perfectly for any recipe that calls for chocolate! They’ve generously offered to give away a package of these awesome chips away to one lucky winner. The winner will also receive Enjoy Life’s Plentils, their all-natural crunchy lentil chips. I’ve heard that the Plentils are actually good when chocolate-covered too, so maybe the winner can try that out! Enter below!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
We’re already a third of the way through Blogmas–how did that happen so fast? See you tomorrow!