Creamy Cheddar-Herb Grits

Creamy Cheddar-Herb Grits

I have to admit that I’m enjoying this “free” time that I’ve found myself in (otherwise known as funemployment). It’s been a very relaxing week since the exam that shall not be named and I’m enjoying having the days to myself before I have to go do something lawyerlyishesque. It’s unlikely that I’ll have this kind of freedom again for years (maybe even many many years)! So I’m enjoying lots of Food Network, shopping in the middle of the day, naps, snuggles with my furry best friend (the dog, not Jason), and hot breakfasts every morning.

Creamy Cheddar-Herb Grits

Let’s talk about this, guys. Herbs can be a really good thing. Don’t be that person that buys the pack of herbs for one recipe and then never uses it again and lets it go bad in their fridge. Ok, that person is me like 90% of the time…but don’t be that person. There’s almost no dish that fresh herbs won’t improve. They’re even great in cocktails! I used some rosemary and thyme in these grits this morning to complement the flavor of the sharp cheddar cheese I was adding and WOAH BUDDY. It instantly takes a very humble food into something gourmet tasting and even more fabulous.

5.0 from 1 reviews

Creamy Cheddar-Herb Grits

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 2 c. water
  • ½ c. stone ground or quick cooking grits (not instant!)
  • ½ c. milk (optional)
  • 1 t. fresh rosemary, chopped
  • ½ t. fresh thyme leaves
  • ⅓ c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • salt and pepper
  1. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the water until it comes to a rolling boil.
  2. Add in the grits and lower the heat to medium-low. Whisk the grits as they simmer until the mixture becomes very thick (about 10 minutes for quick cooking grits, at least 30 minutes for stone ground).
  3. Pour in the milk (or another ½ c. water if you don’t want to use milk) and the herbs in and whisk together. Once the mixture thickens up again, salt and pepper to taste and stir in the cheddar cheese.
  4. Serve immediately.

Creamy Cheddar-Herb Grits

I gotta tell you, I can’t wait to try this out on company. This would be amazing at a brunch alongside quiche and other savory dishes…oh my.

Creamy Cheddar-Herb Grits

I appreciate you guys bearing with me while I ease back into regular blogging! I’ll do a post soon to catch you up on all the juicy things happening in life right now. Hope your week is starting off wonderfully!

• Cayce March 10, 2014, 5:30 pm

Your photography skills are really nice!Growing up, both of my grandmas would always make grits with breakfast whenever we would visit! I’ve never thought of adding fresh herbs but that sounds delicious.

• Lauren @ Dash of Soul March 10, 2014, 6:26 pm

Thank you so much Cayce! I’ve really been working on improving my photography. :)

• Emily March 10, 2014, 10:21 pm

I better be that company you’re talking about :) Can I also tell you that my go-to late night dinner has become cheese grits with sauteed veggies on the side? I’ve been experimenting with cheeses lately. Most recently brie. SO. FREAKING GOOD.

Slash, I never knew that the quick cooking grits were actually that quick? Never instant. . . ever again.

Miss you. xo

• Lauren @ Dash of Soul March 11, 2014, 8:12 pm

Oh yes, you know I love brie cheese in my grits! I always make it that way for the in-laws, it’s soooo good. And yes, quick cooking are the way to go! They actually are done in like 7 minutes but I just like to cook them a little more so they thicken up. Miss you too babe!

• Patty Haxton Anderson March 11, 2014, 11:54 am

Your blog and photos are beautiful. This looks so darn good that I would love a heaping amount right now. Sharing on my food page on Facebook. My blog is all about cooking on a budget which is the name of my FB page.
    Patty Haxton Anderson recently posted…Liebster Award 2014My Profile

• Lauren @ Dash of Soul March 11, 2014, 8:13 pm

Thank you so much Patty! Your blog sounds great, I will definitely check it out!

• Ellie@Fit for the soul March 13, 2014, 7:31 pm

GASP!!! lol, how’d you know my herbs go bad all the time??!!!! I’ve been using basil and just crossing my fingers I’ll finish it off before it rots. But that’s one of the herbs that are easier to use, in a sense. And this looks so delish! You’re so talented with the camera and your recipes. Pinning!!! (Yet again, haha)
    Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted…Scenes from Manhattan BeachMy Profile

• Lauren @ Dash of Soul March 13, 2014, 10:48 pm

Oh thanks so much, Ellie!!! <3

• best camera lens in the world May 1, 2014, 4:33 am

Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?

you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is great, let alone the content!
    best camera lens in the world recently posted…best camera lens in the worldMy Profile