I have to admit that I’m enjoying this “free” time that I’ve found myself in (otherwise known as funemployment). It’s been a very relaxing week since the exam that shall not be named and I’m enjoying having the days to myself before I have to go do something lawyerlyishesque. It’s unlikely that I’ll have this kind of freedom again for years (maybe even many many years)! So I’m enjoying lots of Food Network, shopping in the middle of the day, naps, snuggles with my furry best friend (the dog, not Jason), and hot breakfasts every morning.
Let’s talk about this, guys. Herbs can be a really good thing. Don’t be that person that buys the pack of herbs for one recipe and then never uses it again and lets it go bad in their fridge. Ok, that person is me like 90% of the time…but don’t be that person. There’s almost no dish that fresh herbs won’t improve. They’re even great in cocktails! I used some rosemary and thyme in these grits this morning to complement the flavor of the sharp cheddar cheese I was adding and WOAH BUDDY. It instantly takes a very humble food into something gourmet tasting and even more fabulous.
- 2 c. water
- ½ c. stone ground or quick cooking grits (not instant!)
- ½ c. milk (optional)
- 1 t. fresh rosemary, chopped
- ½ t. fresh thyme leaves
- ⅓ c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the water until it comes to a rolling boil.
- Add in the grits and lower the heat to medium-low. Whisk the grits as they simmer until the mixture becomes very thick (about 10 minutes for quick cooking grits, at least 30 minutes for stone ground).
- Pour in the milk (or another ½ c. water if you don’t want to use milk) and the herbs in and whisk together. Once the mixture thickens up again, salt and pepper to taste and stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Serve immediately.
I gotta tell you, I can’t wait to try this out on company. This would be amazing at a brunch alongside quiche and other savory dishes…oh my.
I appreciate you guys bearing with me while I ease back into regular blogging! I’ll do a post soon to catch you up on all the juicy things happening in life right now. Hope your week is starting off wonderfully!