It’s always a joy for me to bake or cook for people that I love, but when I can use my passion for food to help make a larger difference I get even more excited. Knowing that childhood hunger is a big problem in our country, I jumped at the opportunity to be a part of the campaign that Fleischmann’s® Yeast, Fleischmann’s® Simply Homemade® Baking Mixes and Karo® Syrup launched this year to support No Kid Hungry.
I baked this loaf of bread as a part of the Baking A Difference campaign that is encouraging home bakers (like you and me!) to bake for the cause and increase awareness about childhood hunger in America. These awesome brands are donating a total of $450,000 to the cause! The challenge is to do a unique spin on a classic white bread recipe.
I love using fruit in my bread, so I decided that Apple Cinnamon Swirl Bread would be the perfect thing for this cold season. I added some whole grain and used chunks of fresh apples along with a generous amount of cinnamon in the dough. Add drizzle of sweet caramel glaze and you have a wonderfully sweet and indulgent tasting loaf of bread.
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 envelopes Fleischmann's® Active Dry Yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup melted coconut oil or melted butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 cups finely diced apples
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine ½ cup warm water, yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in a small bowl. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to allow yeast to foam.
- Combine remaining water, milk, butter and sugar; heat until warm (100° to 110°F). Add to yeast mixture with salt, whole wheat flour, and 1½ cups all-purpose flour.
- Mix well using the medium speed of an electric stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Continue to mix on medium speed until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover; let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Gently punch the dough down and divide it into two halves. Set one half aside and put the other half onto a large board.
- Assemble all the filling ingredients near your board.
- Roll the dough out on the board until it's a large rectangle shape about ½" thick.
- Drizzle ¼ cup of the melted coconut oil over the flat dough. Use a spatula to spread the oil evenly over all the dough.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of the sugar, then ½ tablespoon of the cinnamon, then 1 cup of the diced apples, then ¼ cup of brown sugar all over the surface of the dough.
- Roll the dough up lengthwise to make a log.
- With a sharp knife, cut the log into 1" slices. Then cut each slice diagonally on a 45 degree angle.
- Take chunks of the cut dough and place them into a greased loaf pan. Don't worry about being neat, it doesn't matter how you arrange the pieces. Sprinkle any remaining filling that fell out on top of the dough.
- Repeat the filling and slicing process with the second half of the dough and remaining half of the filling ingredients. Place the finished dough pieces in a second greased loaf pan.
- Cover both pans; let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bake loaves in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and the bread is done in the middle.
- Let the loaves cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing them onto a wire rack to cool.
- While the loaves cool, heat the milk and butter for the glaze together in the microwave until the butter melts.
- Whisk the powdered sugar, brown sugar, molasses, and vanilla into milk mixture until smooth. Add powdered sugar until you achieve a drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle glaze over loaves to taste.
- Let cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
This delicious bread recipe isn’t the only gift I get to give you today. I also have an AMAZING baking prize package to give away to a very lucky person. In addition to the BEAUTIFUL teak wooden bread board that’s pictured above with my Apple Cinnamon Swirl Bread, one reader will win:
4 Fleischmann’s Simply Homemade Baking Mixes, Karo Dark Corn Syrup, Karo Light Corn Syrup, a slice-and-spread bread knife…
This is a super generous kit that can take you on many baking adventures. I’ve tried a couple of the bread mixes and love how quickly they come together. The bread board is just beautiful and would be the perfect thing to serve on when you have company over!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
And if you guys would like to become a part of this campaign, you can share your own bread recipes with the hashtag #BakingADifference. If you share it on the Karo or Fleischmann’s Facebook page, you could be chosen to be featured in the Baking A Difference e-cookbook along with Joy the Baker! I hope it inspires some of you to get baking.
Disclaimer: I received a free baking prize package for myself and one to give away from the Baking A Difference program.