Mom’s Sweet Potato Pie

20130729-DSC_0500

blanktile200.pngI know that we all have those foods that bring us straight back to our childhood with a single bite.
20130729-DSC_0499

For me, my mom’s sweet potato pie is at the top of that list of foods. As a kid I had a second stomach for dessert and something about this pie made it so easy to devour slice after slice. I may or may not have been responsible for eating an entire pie by myself over a Thanksgiving break in middle school.

20130729-DSC_0500We’re going to New Jersey this year for Thanksgiving, which will make this my first Thanksgiving away from home. I look forward to spending it with Jason’s family and making new memories, but I got a little sad at the thought of the holiday without my mom’s famous pie. I asked her if she would teach me how to make it and share the recipe with you all and she agreed!

Mom's Sweet Potato Pie

• 1 c. butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 T. vanilla extract
  • ½ t. cinnamon
  • ½ t. nutmeg
  • 1 t. salt
  1. Preheat oven to 400.
  2. In the bowl of a mixer, whip the mashed sweet potatoes until they are smooth.
  3. Add the sugar and mix to combine.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together the cream and eggs. Add this mixture to the sweet potatoes and continue to mix until smooth.
  5. Add in the butter, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and mix on medium speed until the mixture is smooth and all ingredients are well incorporated.
  6. Prepare two pie pans with pie crust.
  7. Pour the batter equally into the two pie pans.
  8. Bake pies for about 15 minutes at 400, then lower the temperature to 375 and cook for an additional 30 minutes (or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean).
  9. Cool for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving. Store in the refrigerator.

So if you’re still looking for the perfect dessert to add to your Thanksgiving table–look no further! Bet you can’t have just one slice.

20130729-DSC_0516

20130729-DSC_0507

What foods remind you of the holidays? What was your favorite part of Thanksgiving as a kid?

• Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 25, 2013, 3:59 am

This looks heavenly! Definitely my kind of soul food.
    Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted…Cooking in the 21st centuryMy Profile

• Lauren @ Dash of Soul November 26, 2013, 3:14 pm

:) Thanks Jemma!

• Lauren November 25, 2013, 4:11 pm

I’ve never had sweet potato pie… the horror! But it looks SO good. I feel the same way about my mom’s stuffing. I don’t think I could call it Thanksgiving without it. She does a Cajun style (it’s my grandma’s recipe) and if I had to pick one food to eat for the rest of forever it would without a doubt be that.
    Lauren recently posted…Weekend ThingsMy Profile

• Lauren @ Dash of Soul November 26, 2013, 3:14 pm

If one day we ever meet in person, I will meet you bearing a giant sweet potato pie and have you taste it ON THE SPOT. You would LOVE it! Also your mom’s stuffing sounds amazing. When we meet you can bring some of that please. 😉

• Matt @ Runner Savvy November 25, 2013, 7:55 pm

Looks great! I’m a sucker for pecan pie.
    Matt @ Runner Savvy recently posted…#Elf4Health: Meatless MondayMy Profile

• Lauren @ Dash of Soul November 26, 2013, 3:11 pm

LOVE pecan pie. You’ve just reminded me that I haven’t eaten any this year!!!

• Nala November 25, 2013, 7:55 pm

Oooh – that pie looks heavenly! I first tasted sweet potato pie at a Thanksgiving Work dinner. It was lovely! Ever since I’ve been on the lookout for a good recipe to make! Thanks Lauren – it’s like you read my mind!

• Lauren @ Dash of Soul November 26, 2013, 3:10 pm

Oh I’m so glad! Let me know if you try it–I think you’ll love it! :)

• Nala November 27, 2013, 2:05 pm

I did try the pie! I made it in preparation for Thanksgiving tomorrow! But I also made two mini pies on the side so I can taste it – it was soo good! I can already foresee myself wanting to have another slice!

• Dina November 26, 2013, 12:30 pm

i’ve always used milk, but i imagine the heavy cream makes it creamier. sounds great!
    Dina recently posted…Two for Tuesday: Kefir or Yogurt?My Profile

• Lauren @ Dash of Soul November 26, 2013, 2:57 pm

It really does–so good! :)

• http://heinrich79.bplaced.net/ September 12, 2014, 6:03 am

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it,
    you can be a great author. I will remember to bookmark your blog and will come back sometime soon. I want to encourage one to continue your great posts, have a nice afternoon!
    http://heinrich79.bplaced.net/ recently posted…http://heinrich79.bplaced.net/My Profile