Happy Soul Food Sunday!
While tomato season might be over, green tomato season is certainly not. If you’ve never had one before, a green tomato is just an unripened tomato that is delicious when cooked at a high temperature. They’re usually available long after you can find a really good red tomato, and they are usually a fantastic price.
We have fried green tomatoes fairly often and they have become one of Jason’s favorite Southern side dishes. And with good reason! This time I added the flavors of garlic and parmesan cheese to the breading for the tomatoes, which really takes this dish to the next level.
I really try to only share recipes that are simple and easy to make, and this one is no exception. It doesn’t require any advanced prep and takes less that 30 minutes to make from start to finish.
- 2 large green tomatoes
- ¼ c. cornmeal
- ¼ c. breadcrumbs (I like the Italian style ones)
- ½ c. flour (whatever kind you have)
- 1 t. salt
- ½ t. pepper
- 1 T. parmesan cheese
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 egg
- canola oil
- Thickly slice your tomatoes and set aside.
- Heat about ¼” of oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- You need three shallow dishes. In one dish, combine the cornmeal, breadcrumbs, ¼ c. of the flour, salt, pepper, cheese, and garlic powder.
- In another dish, put the other ¼ c. of flour.
- In a third dish, whisk together the egg with about 1 T. of water.
- When the oil is hot, prepare the tomato slices by first coating them in flour, then dipping them in egg, then coating them in the cornmeal mixture.
- Fry each side of the slices until golden brown, about a couple minutes per side.
- Once the slices are fried, remove them to a paper towel lined dish to drain before serving.
The tomatoes aren’t greasy at all and the cornmeal in the crust gives it that delicious crunch before you bite into the juiciness of the green tomato. It’s full of different flavors and textures and is a great side dish for just about anything.
We’re meeting my family at the movie theater to enjoy the last sliver of our weekend! Hope you’re enjoying the last sliver of yours!