Greek Yogurt Pound Cake

DSC01030

Missed me? Ah, don’t answer that. I know that my posting has been less frequent, but that’s to be expected during final exams and I should be back to normal in another week. Having nothing to do but study in the house for 2 weeks straight can be a bit tough on the morale, so I’ve been thinking of making us a treat to cheer things up a bit. When I saw this recipe for a delicious looking traditional French Yogurt Cake in my latest issue of Bon Appétit, I immediately dog-eared it as a reminder to make it.

It reminded me of a Southern pound cake (like the one I made here), but without all the heart attack butter! So I thought it would be perfect to make for Soul Food Sunday. And boy, am I glad I did.

I eat a ton of Greek yogurt and love it’s nutritional value (and delicious taste!) but I’ve never really baked with the yogurt being a primary ingredient. Guys, really. Vive la France! It made an AWESOME cake. It’s soft and moist and sweet without being ovch, my jaws are hurting sweet.

And as an added bonus, the use of Greek yogurt not only knocks down the calories and fat, but it means there’s 6 grams of protein in every scrumptious serving. Awesome.

Greek Yogurt Pound Cake

• 1/8 t. nutmeg
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 3/4 c. (6 oz.) FULL FAT greek yogurt
  • 1/2 c. canola oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 t. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium sized mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

In a separate small mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, yogurt, oil, and vanilla until smooth.

Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry and use a spatula to fold ingredients together just until combined.

Pour batter into a well greased loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes*, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes before inverting it onto a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.

Can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.

*Note: I used mini loaf pans and so my cakes only took about 35 minutes. Adjust cooking time for your pan size.

Powered by Recipage

Like most of my recipes, this is really fast and simple to make. You’ll have a baked cake in front of you in under an hour! So worth it.

My gears are already turning thinking of all the variations I can make from this recipe. I think next time I’ll try subbing in applesauce and/or banana for the oil and see how it holds up! It would also be delicious with fruit, nuts, or chocolate mixed in.

The French were definitely onto something here…though I find it ironic that a traditional French cake is one that actually uses another ingredient in place of butter. Anyone else confused by this? No matter, I don’t care who came up with it–it’s delicious. And it’s making child custody law a lot easier to swallow right now. 😉

Thanks for reading!

• Empri April 29, 2012, 7:17 pm

You had better bring one of those to dc next weekend. K. Thanks. Bye
    Empri recently posted…Happy FridayMy Profile

• Lauren April 29, 2012, 7:22 pm

HAHA, I think that can be arranged.

• Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 29, 2012, 9:27 pm

lauren, this looks amazing!!!! wish i had a slice right now!
    Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted…Treadmill Laptop StandMy Profile

• Lauren April 30, 2012, 10:53 pm

Thanks so much! I would give you one if I could! 😉

• Celeste May 1, 2012, 8:19 pm

Well, this is gonna be made next time it’s my turn to grocery shop. Om nom nom…

• Lauren July 6, 2012, 10:10 am

Lauren, I make this recipe last night and enjoyed it so much! I added the juice from half a lemon and the zest of that lemon. DELICIOUS! Thank you so much for the recipe!

• Lauren July 6, 2012, 10:17 pm

I’m so happy that you enjoyed it! The extra lemon is a great idea! :)

• viv December 11, 2012, 12:22 pm

looks very good , did it come soft? I have a curse when it comes to pound cake they always come hard and that eggs smell , uuhh i cant stand it. :-)

• brent April 13, 2013, 10:23 am

Whats the calorie and fat per serving as opposed to using sour cream?

• Kitty May 15, 2013, 6:38 am

Hi there, I can’t remember how I stumbled onto your blog, but I wanted to say thank you for sharing this recipe, it’s a keeper! I made it earlier this week as a chocolate marbled cake, and it’s gone down a storm!

I found it just a tiny touch dry but my Greek yoghurt was really *extremely* thick, so I’m going to try again, adding a touch of milk. I’m also going to try replacing half a cup of the flour with pumpkin meal and using pumpkin seed oil instead of canola.

I hope that you share your variations when you get a chance to try them!

• Alyssa B June 7, 2013, 1:24 pm

I love this recipe so much that I listed it in a healthy dessert round up on my blog. Thanks again for letting me use a pic!

Alyssa B recently posted…Show and Tell: Healthier Dessert Round UpMy Profile

• bobbi o'connor September 2, 2013, 11:29 am

Lauren…I have made quite a few of these pound cakes, they are without a doubt the best I have tasted. Made them with frozen fresh blueberries(added a little flour to the berries before adding to the mixture), also fresh peaches. Seems the peachs & strawberries was the biggest hit. I wish there was a way to make a larger pound cake in a tube pan. Guess I will have to experiment. If you or someone has tried it with success please advise. Thank you for the recipe. Regards, Bobbi

• Lauren July 31, 2014, 4:20 pm

I am missing dessert except for fruit since I jumped in with both feet into Genotype Teacher/Blood Type Diet. This exactly fits the bill. Can’t wait to eat a slice with fruit or toasted with ghee.