ā‰” Menu

Sweet Potato Pie with Pecan Crust

DSC06174

You may not be able to tell from all my pumpkin recipes, but I’m actually not a huge lover of pumpkin. It can be good depending on how it’s used, but sweet potatoes have my heart. Sweet potato pie is what we have every year at Thanksgiving, and it’s one of the things I most look forward to during this time of year. I’m pretty sure the whole pumpkin pie vs. sweet potato pie thing is one of those divisive American issues–most families I know have strong preferences for one or the other and don’t mess around in between! I’m thrilled to be able to share a new and healthy twist on my favorite sweet potato pie for you this Soul Food Sunday.

Lately I’ve been making a lot of desserts using flour and butter, which makes for very delicious desserts but of course is not the healthiest option (especially when I use white flour). With this pie I really wanted a dessert that was delicious but that wouldn’t be too rich for us to enjoy as an everyday treat. I’ve been wanting to try a nut crust for a long time and figured sweet potato pie would be the perfect oppurtunity.

And boy, it WAS the perfect opportunity. The flavor and texture of the nuts goes so well with the smooth, creamy sweet potato filling. There’s NO butter or white flour in this recipe, and I think it also happens to be gluten-free!

Sweet Potato Pie with Pecan Crust

by Lauren

Prep Time: 1 hour

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Keywords: bake dessert low-carb sweet potato pie Southern fall

Ingredients (serves 8)

For the crust:

• 2 c. raw pecan halves
  • 2 T. melted coconut oil
  • 2 T. agave nectar
  • 1/4 t. cinnamon
  • 1/4 t. salt

For the filling:

• 2 large sweet potatoes (enough for 2 1/2-3 c. of flesh)
  • 3 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 c. evaporated skim milk
  • 1 c. brown sugar (not packed)
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1/4 t. nutmeg
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • dash of allspice
  • dash of ginger

Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into chunks. Boil the chunks in a large pot of water for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.

Drain the potatoes and mash them well with a potato masher. Cover with saran wrap and set aside.

In a blender or food processor, chop up the nuts just until the largest pieces are pea-sized.

Stir the remaining crust ingredients into the ground nuts until well combined.

Press the nuts into the bottom and sides of either a 9-inch pie pan or a 8-inch springform pan (the springform pan won’t need to use all the crust mixture).

Place the crusted pan in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.

Bake the crust in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes to toast the nuts.

While the crust is baking, blend the mashed sweet potatoes with an electric mixer until very smooth.

Add the remaining filling ingredients and continue to blend until the mixture is very smooth and creamy.

When the crust is done, remove it from the oven and then raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees.

Pour the filling into the crust and return it to the oven to bake for about 45 minutes, or until the top of the pie is lightly browned and the pie does not jiggle around when you move it.

Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool on a rack.

Powered by Recipage

This pie reminds me of a combination between sweet potato and pecan pie–so delicious! Just enough nuts to hold the pie together.

If you’re looking for a twist on the traditional pumpkin or sweet potato pie this Thanksgiving season, I highly recommend this! It’s a great alternative for gluten-free guests! Or, if you’re like me and just really love nuts, then that’s enough of a reason in my book.

I love making desserts on the weekend that we can eat all week long! With school I definitely don’t have time during the week to bake up dessert every night, so it’s really nice to already have something prepared. Although I doubt this pie is going to last all week.

I know that lots of you are out there somewhere reading my posts, which I love and am so grateful for! But I don’t get to hear from you all very often! Please leave a comment and say hello! No matter who you are, I would love to say hi and get to know you. :) I’m going to start doing reader questions at the end of my posts to get some conversation started, and here’s the first one…

What side of the fence are you and your family on? Sweet potato pie or pumpkin pie?

Thanks for reading!

• Lauren November 6, 2011, 7:39 pm

I’m sort of ashamed to admit that I’ve never had sweet potato pie :( But I love pumpkin pie, so maybe I’d hate SP? I doubt it, considering I LOVE sweet potatoes. There’s room for both in my life.
    Lauren recently posted…Double Chocolate Mint CookiesMy Profile

• Lauren November 7, 2011, 10:17 pm

Oh my gosh, I wish I could give you a slice! I bet you would love it. You might just be one of those people who love both. :)

• Erika - The Teenage Taste November 6, 2011, 9:20 pm

Sweet potato pies are the best – love that you used pecans for the crust! Mmmmm…
    Erika – The Teenage Taste recently posted…The Story Behind The SocksMy Profile

• Lauren November 7, 2011, 10:16 pm

Thanks, Erika! :) I agree, they are the best!

• Deborah November 6, 2011, 10:11 pm

I love sweet potato pie. We have it every thanksgiving and christmas

• Lauren November 7, 2011, 10:15 pm

YUM–love that you have it on both holidays! For some reason we never have pie after Thanksgiving…I have no clue why not.

• Allegra November 7, 2011, 3:42 am

Love your posts! Definitely out there (grad school in England) reading :), also because I’ve been accepted to law school next year and it’s interesting to see how you can continue doing what you love while in the thralls of 1/2/3L.

& my family is, like yours, equal on the pumpkin pie/sweet potato debate. I generally do a mixture of both over the year’s holidays, but your nut crust looks dynamite! Must try it on my housemates this weekend.
    Allegra recently posted…EggspectationsMy Profile

• Lauren November 7, 2011, 10:14 pm

Hi Allegra, awesome to meet you! :) Congrats on law school, that’s so great! Feel free to email me if you ever have any questions (not that I’m really the best person to be giving advice)!

• Helen November 7, 2011, 3:43 pm

Honestly I love them both! We have both for the holidays, and I enjoy a piece of each one :)
    Helen recently posted…Iā€™m TiredMy Profile

• Lauren November 7, 2011, 10:11 pm

Love that you love both! I knew there had to be someone! :)

• Susan November 11, 2011, 10:15 pm

Stumbled upon your blog while looking for a 7-up pound cake recipe and I just love it. I had to comment on your latest post because I am from the South and my Grandparents in Mississippi would roast sweet potatoes in the ambers of their fireplace for us to eat after church on Sunday. My Grandpa would pop open these sweet potatoes and cover them with sweet homemade butter. So with wonderful memories like these, of course, I prefer sweet potatoes.

• Lauren November 13, 2011, 5:42 pm

What a wonderful story! Thanks so much for sharing!

• Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) November 16, 2011, 11:29 pm

I think sweet potato has way more flavor then pumpkin. My vote is sweet potato!
    Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) recently posted…Pumpkin White Chocolate Chip BlondiesMy Profile

• Sherry November 22, 2011, 6:26 pm

I am definitely in favor of this since I am trying to eat raw living foods most of the time…..and to be honest, I could not find any pumpkins and I love sweet potatos……so I’m looking forward to giving it a try!
    Thank you!

• Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery November 14, 2012, 8:44 am

Hey, is there a recipe???
    Yammie @ Yammie’s Noshery recently posted…Homemade Twix BarsMy Profile

• Lauren November 14, 2012, 8:48 am

Something had gone wrong with the page–thanks for letting me know! The recipe is there now.

• Rozlyn.petersen@yahoo.com November 19, 2012, 6:33 pm

This recipe looks Devine, especially the crust! Do you think I can make the crust a couple days ahead of time?

• Lauren November 19, 2012, 7:17 pm

Absolutely! Keep it refrigerated and it should be fine! :)

• Jan Marie Vinsonhaler November 23, 2015, 1:10 pm

I am inspired Lauren!! I’ve not had sweet potato pie but this sounds amazing and looks so beautiful in the spring form shape. Thank you and have a wonderful holiday!

• Sheefra Yakir March 30, 2016, 4:14 am

For along time I have been looking for a good sweet potato pie recipe. I can’t wait to try it.

• Leslie rosa July 26, 2016, 6:57 pm

Im.so looking forward to reading all your recipes :)

• Rhonda August 25, 2016, 3:42 pm

Hi Lauren!šŸ˜ƒ
    Love your blog! I’m a Sweet Potato Girl! My family and I usually do both for the end of year holidays, but we strongly PREFER Sweet potato; which btw, will be here very soon!šŸ˜€

• Theresa August 28, 2016, 10:53 pm

I love pumpkin, haven’t had a sweet potato pie in years, but wasn’t fond of it when I did… Maybe using a kitchen aide mixer to make the batter really smooth would help do the trick! I love the idea of this crust… Will definitely try it!

• Lorna September 13, 2016, 10:46 am

I cant wait to try this!! Pumpkin is hard on my tummy!

• Rene September 13, 2016, 12:24 pm

I love this recipe and can’t wait to try it! I eat sweet potatoes almost every week but usually don’t make sweet potato pies until the holidays but I think I will make one this weekend! Thank you for sharing this

• Rosemary September 30, 2016, 6:58 pm

I can’t wait to try this recipe for myself and my gluten free guests

• Tracy October 6, 2016, 11:27 am

Saw a nut crust pin that lead to nowhere. I was so upset. It took me a whole day surfing to find you. My granddaughter is alergic to agave. Bet I can use honey. What do you think?

• Cathy October 6, 2016, 2:27 pm

I was looking for a sweet potato casserole recipe when I came across this sp pie recipe. You see my dear cousins are visiting from out of state and I thought this would b a good time to give thanks for them in my life, hence thanksgiving dinner. This sounds like an awesome accompanying side dish. I’ll let you know how it turns out.
    Ps I’ve never had sweet potato pie but I love sweet potatoes!! I think I’ll have a new fav.

• Heather January 11, 2017, 9:35 am

I’m so excited to try this!! Thank you for sharing.