Simple Stovetop Applesauce

DSC06107

I finally found something to do with those 20 apples that were taking up all that space in my fridge! Yes, I was still holding on to those apples we got from the orchard nearly a moth ago…but not anymore!

For the sake of making room in the fridge, and using these apples before they got past their prime, I decided to use all the rest for an easy stovetop applesauce. Just a few ingredients, and takes less than 30 minutes to make! It’s a great way to use apples that might be bruised or a little overripe for eating raw. Sweet apples are best for applesauce–the sweeter the apples the less sugar you’ll need!

You start off with a bunch of apples (mine ended up being about 20 cups!) that are peeled, cored, and chopped with a little sugar and spices. If this looks familiar it’s because that’s the same exact way that apple butter starts:

If you have a couple leftover apples, try it! Applesauce in the fridge is always good to replace oil in baking. It’s so simple and quick to do.

[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:4]

It’s tasty for eating…

…and will be great for lots of baking!

Thanks for reading!

• Lauren November 6, 2011, 10:25 am

I got so excited when I saw this was a stovetop recipe and didn’t require a slow cooker! Having applesauce on hand for baking is such a great idea. Good thing it’s apple season!
    Lauren recently posted…Double Chocolate Mint CookiesMy Profile

• Lauren November 6, 2011, 6:55 pm

Yes, is so easy on the stovetop! It can be done in the crockpot, but I say why bother when you can do it so fast on the stove!

• Monique Koch November 6, 2011, 12:53 pm

Yummy! We eat a lot of applesauce in this house :-) I like using it for oil too and also as my “egg” in baked goods.
    Monique Koch recently posted…You Have to Start Them EarlyMy Profile

• Lauren November 6, 2011, 6:56 pm

It’s so great for baking! Whoever discovered that was genius! :)

• Jess November 6, 2011, 8:34 pm

Mm, I’ll have to try your recipe!

I recently found a pretty good one, but I am always willing to expand my arsenal.

If you are looking for a good recipe to use all that bounty of applesauce on, I suggest: Applesauce Spice Cake. So good!
    Jess recently posted…October Recipe Round UpMy Profile

• Lauren November 6, 2011, 9:02 pm

Ohh awesome, thanks for the suggestion! I love applesauce cake but haven’t had it in a long time!