Three cheers for summer!!! For sweet corn and bright tomatoes and juicy berries and cold beer and crunchy SALAD. Salad’s are good all year round of course, but to me it’s summertime when they really hit the spot.
This one is nutrition packed and simple to make. The base is a mixture of cabbage, romaine, and Brussels sprouts sliced super duper thin (use a mandolin if you have one, otherwise just slice as thinly as you can). Then it’s topped with a variety of sweet and crunchy goodness and drizzled with an addictive peanut dressing.
My recipe for the dressing is kind of “loosey goosey”, and that’s because I’ve found that with peanut dressing it’s best to just feel it out as you go. Depending on the type of peanut butter you’re using, how strong your sesame oil is, how warm it is, etc. it’s going to change things. So use the magic ingredients. but other than that just go with the flow and adjust until it tastes perfect to you.
- 2 c. thinly shredded cabbage
- 2 c. shredded romaine lettuce or mixed greens
- 2 c. thinly shredded Brussels sprouts
- ½ c. shredded carrots
- ½ c. roasted cashew halves
- ⅔ c. mandarin oranges
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 1 T. sesame seeds
- 2 T. peanut butter
- 3 T. rice vinegar
- 2 T. soy sauce
- honey (start with 2 t.)
- sesame oil (start with 1 t.)
- salt and pepper
- Toss vegetables together for salad.
- Top each salad with nuts, oranges, avocado slices, and sesame seeds.
- Whisk together ingredients for dressing, adding more vinegar, honey, sesame oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Add a little warm water to loosen up the dressing if necessary.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and enjoy!
Cashews need to be a salad topping more often! With the creaminess of the avocado and the sweet oranges they really make an amazing addition. Let me know if you try it out!