Chocolate chip cookies are my go-to treat for pretty much any occasion. Cold outside? Bake some cookies. Nervous about something the next day? Bake some cookies. Headache? Bake some cookies. Bored? Craving chocolate? Have a heartbeat? Bake those cookies, man.
The base for these is my favorite Secret Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, but this time I added peanut butter to the batter and used milk chocolate chips instead of semisweet. Milk chocolate and peanut butter are such an incredible combo and it takes the classic cookie to a whole other level of awesome. Jason said, and I quote “Wow! These are much better than usual!”, which I’m going to interpret as his gentlemanly way of saying they are EVEN BETTER than the original recipe. And I happen to agree.
- ¾ c. packed light brown sugar
- ½ c. salted butter, at room temp
- 1 egg, at room temp
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1⅓ c. all-purpose flour (whole wheat pastry flour works too)
- 1 t. baking soda
- ½ c. creamy peanut butter
- 1 c. milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the brown sugar and butter together in the bowl of a mixer.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and continue to beat until it’s fluffy and smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and peanut butter and mix on low just until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop the dough onto a lined cookie sheet by the tablespoon a couple inches apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until the cookies are golden and start to brown around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and LET COOL for 5 minutes on the pan before removing them to a cooling rack with a spatula (these are soft cookies so they will break if you try to move them straight out of the oven).
Like every good chocolate chip recipe, these are super easy and you can have them in your mouth 20 minutes after you decide to make them. I cannot promise how long they will last though! I am personally responsible for the disappearance of
10 4 cookies so far today…
I’m off to start cooking dinner! I’m so excited because I picked up some delicata squash at the farmers market and I’m using it to make this amazing salad that Heidi Swanson says is one of her favorite recipes! I can’t waaaiiiiiit! And then cookies for dessert. Duh.